Quality two bedroom idyllic self-catering seaside holiday cottage with logburner
Middle Cottage, Llanmadoc, Gower
Post Office Green,
Swansea, SA3 1DE
Pictured above - owners of Middle Cottage - Dai & Heather Howells (Oct 2015)
Where are we ?
Come off at Junction 47 of M4
then head for Gowerton, Penclawdd, Crofty, Llanrhidian, Landimore & Cheriton then into Llanmadoc.
.....it comes with.....
WIFI Broadband - dedicated to your sole use. So enjoy your own dedicated BT WIFI (broadband)! Obviously free of charge. Access code is issued in arrival pack.
DOGS welcome - we have a beach he/she can run loose on (we allow two or three dogs but we do charge £15 per dog after first dog).
SKY HD TV - Comes free with SKY Sports/Movies/ESPN sports & Documentary/History/Discovery channels on a Panasonic LED 37"
See our current bookings and availability on the dates/pages menu option above i.e.
Middle Cottage is shown in green lined area above. (Parking at the rear after unloading).
NB You can also hire Wagtails Seaside Holiday Apartment (the old post office) to the right of this above aerial photo.
See Wagtails Apartment photos and facilities at its own website www.cottageingower.co.uk
The owners of Middle Cottage, Heather and Dai Howells live at Gower Cottage.
Where is Middle Cottage?
We are in the lovely seaside village of Llanmadoc (with its twin village of Cheriton) located at the north western tip of the Gower Peninsula AONB
Llanmadoc Village sits within City and County of Swansea unitary authority area, in what was the old county of "West Glamorgan".
Go to our DATES and PRICES pages after reading this page and seeing photos in gallery page
(New patio and garden furniture has been installed since the above photo and also new sofas)
The above beach, peninsula, dune, marshland, hill/cliff, and woodland walks are within front door walking of our cottage. The lower right hand promontory headland is Whiteford Point, with Whiteford Cast Iron Lighthouse just visible, and the sandy spit on the bottom left of the picture is a sand bar over-watched by the Birdwatching Hide nearer the woods. The far top left hand, just visible, is the famous (Rhossili) Worms Head at Rhossili. Broughton/Llanmadoc Bay are the main visible beaches at the centre of this photo.
Blue Pool Corner and Burry Holms Island can be seen centre top of the picture. We think you will love the exhilarating walks you can take from Middle Cottage (and Llanmadoc Village) which - on this photo - are located just slightly out of picture to the left hand side half way up the photo.
There are woodland, sand dune and marshland as well as marine Nature Reserves within this photos, and the marshy and wooded areas (bottom left of photo) are a birders paradise, as are the beach/estuary areas. Sheep wander around the village.
Heather and Dai the owners of Middle Cottage seek to provide guests with a very cosy country cottage (pictured below - the centre cottage) near the seaside and wish to make you feel genuinely welcome in offering the comfort and facilities you would normally only expect at home.
We think our simple booking system for Middle Cottage is fair, with common-sense terms and conditions and overall service match or beat the large national chains such as Hoseasons, English-country-cottages, and Cottages4you.
We may not always have the weather of Benidorm, but the photo above is of Johnny Vegas's visit to Middle Cottage in August 2007.
MIDDLE COTTAGE: Has 2 bedrooms, sleeps up to 4/5. Walk to the local real ale pub, restaurant, beach & woodlands, nature reserves and fine walks nearby. Friendly and helpful owners. 2 mins walk out of back gate to the Village shop, 10 mins drive to Knelston petrol station and bakery/shop/PO.
THE BEACH AND PROXIMITY TO IT
The beach is approx 20 minutes walk (15 or 25 if slow or fast walking). If you visit the beach at Whiteford then there is a steep lane to walk back up. There route via Broughton end of the bay (i.e. via Lagadranta Farm camping site) is less steep, just a gradual pleasant lane.
See the photo gallery (top left of this page - pages menu) for many more photos.
Kind Regards, Heather Howells Tel: 01792 386668 or 07990 522250 (best to email)
GUEST COMMENTS What did previous guests say? SEE OUR GUEST COMMENTS http://www.cottages-gower.co.uk/21.html
Simply bustling with beautiful walks and things to do. Around 15-20 mins stroll to the dunes/woodlands [downhill] and maybe an extra 5-10 mins stroll to the first wave of the sea at Llanmadoc beach or if you head west to Broughton Beach then it is a 15-30 mins walk to Broughton Beach depending how fast you walk and where you consider the beach to start e.g. at the dunes or on the sand. Set in the heart of west Gower, with the historic twin churches of St Madoc's (at Llanmadoc) and St Cadog's at nearby Cheriton 0.5km away.
NB: The Cwm Ivy lane which leads immediately down to the Llanmadoc end of the beach is quite steep for those who find walking a problem. (There is a tap in the woods entrance at the bottom for drinking water for your pooch - inside gate 30 yards near old tin roof lodge). The other route to the beach is less steep towards Broughton and Whitford Caravan Park direction.
Stroll each morning onto the beach woods dunes, or picnic at the Bronze Age hill fort (the Bulwark) at Llanmadoc Hill - Gower's second highest peak. Walk out to Whiteford Lighthouse, and take a circular walk around Whiteford Peninsula/Cwm Ivy National Trust Woods, or hand-pick Sampphire Grass at Landimore Marsh, fish or kayak on the local beaches, or pick your own cockles and mussels.
MIDDLE COTTAGE BOUNDARY SHOWN BELOW IN BRIGHT RED
Its position has natural charm being located are at the top the village, on the village green, overlooking Llanmadoc/Whiteford beach. It is on the bus route, and only a 7 min walk to local inn, 1 mins from our local shop and close to some of Gower's best walks. The cottage has quality furniture, and we provide fresh bed-linen and towels in the price. Enjoy the feature stone fireplace, former bread-oven and cosy multifuel stoveburner (we provide free logs).
MIDDLE COTTAGE .........DETAILS AND KEY FEATURES SUMMARY
MIDDLE COTTAGE, at LLANMADOC, NORTH WEST GOWER, WALES, SA3 1DE
- Possibly as good a location/position as you could ask for for a holiday break.
- Situated right in the heart of Llanmadoc, close to Cwm Ivy National Trust walks/woods, and three nature reserves. (Steep lane!)
- Helpful, relaxed, friendly, informative host guests living next door in Gower Cottage. We leave out guests get on with it unless you need something - pop in for a cuppa and a chat anytime.
- Sleeps 5 in two bedrooms in comfort.
- 2 bedrooms, Three beds including: Bedroom 1 - Kingsize bed. Bedroom 2 - one single bed and one 4ft [threequarter] bed.
- Lounge has one three seater sofa (with twin recliners), one two seater sofa and a very comfy (recliner) armchair (all dark brown leather).
- Dining room with a quality table, 6 fine chairs, and bookcase and CD player & DAB radio.
- Rear garden has a newly laid (2015) Ripon Stone patio with attractive solid cut stone and newly installed rustproof tasteful Forged black Aluminium Garden table and five chairs. (The 'Wyevale' Hartman Range). Rear Garden is 100% dogproof.
- HD (High Definition) SKY TV box (with Sky Plus Planner and full HD subscription), Blue-Ray DVD player (plays both Blue Ray and DVDs), 37" LED Flatscreen Panasonic TV, with SKY Movies and Sky Sports & BT Sports - relax and watch movies, F1 racing, the golf, rugby football, tennis or cricket - you're on holiday!
- WIFI broadband. (Bring the laptop/Smartfone)
- Master Bedroom also has Toshiba TV with freeview and in-built DVD player (as well as DAB radio alarm).
- Flagstone floor yellow cream stone. (With some rugs to soften the flooring up).
- Solid Oak "Z frame" cottage style doors with Suffolk Latches on ground floor
- Downstairs bathroom, with electric shower over (new steel enamel) bath, sink and WC.
- Worcester/Bosch Heatstar Greenslave 18/25 Combi Boiler Central Heating system (fitted spring 2008) hence constant hot water for nice candle lit bath after a long day walking! Heat the cottage as much as you like!
- 6ft tall Hotpoint frost free larder fridge / freezer combi (freezer has three large freezer compartments).
- Brand new 900mm wide SMEG "Concert" freestanding Range Cooker (Ceramic five plate top hob with twin electric ovens and two grills (electric convection oven) installed July 2015.
- Full size Bosch dishwasher in the kitchen.
- Top quality SMEG 8kg Washer and a separate SMEG condenser dryer both located in Kitchen
- Several helpful extras such as salt/pepper, t-towels, j-cloths/wipes, towels, bedding, kitchen roll, toilet roll, cleaning liquids etc. all provided, fully inclusive.
- 7 mins walk to the local real ale pub and excellent pub food / Sunday lunches
- 15-30mins walking distance to the beach/woods depending how fast you walk and which route you take. FAIRLY STEEP LANE ON RETURN LEG! or walk down to Broughton Beach (much less steep idyllic country lane)
- Middle Cottage has some limited views of the sea from bedrooms.
- Only 10-12 mins drive to other beaches at Port Eynon or Horton, Oxwich Bay or Llangennith (great surfing), 15 mins to Three Cliffs Bay or 20 mins by car to Caswell, Langland.
- Quality bed linen provided
- Available to let all year round - 12 months and short breaks / weekends
- Prices range from £350-£895 per week depending on season and typically around £450-£575 p/w shoulder months. (shorter breaks Nov-Feb - see prices page)
- Short breaks for 2/3 nights available Nov-Feb incl.
- Arrivals after 4pm please, departures 10.30am thank you! :-)
- Sorry but no smoking inside - welcome to smoke on patio (sandbox provided).
- Quality Panasonic 950 Watt large sized microwave oven
- Ironing board and iron, hairdryers
- Quality Le Creuset pots and pans and Denby crockery
- Electric/gas, cleaning materials/toilet roll etc obviously included in the price
- Parking at the rear of the cottage in drive for at least 2 cars
- 1 mins walk out of front door to the Village shop (almost opposite cottage - sit in for a coffee and experience village life in the slow lane with wonderful local home made cakes pasties and other nice stuff all baked by villagers - must try the jams and marmalades too)
- a 10 mins drive to Knelston petrol station and bakery/shop/PO for wider choice of groceries; or CKs supermarket in Penclawdd /Mike Tuckers Butchers / Howells butchers - all in Penclawdd.
- A scenic idyllic 1.5 km walk via country lane (downhill) to Whiteford / Llanmadoc [20 mins brisk pace walk or 35 mins slow walk to start of sand-dunes/top of beach and woodlands and a further 10-15 mins to the water if tide is out]
- This walk can take longer e.g. at a very ambling slowish pace - perhaps 30-35 minutes. Equally a fast walker can do it to the beach in 15 minutes.
- NB: The Cwm Ivy lane which leads immediately down to the Llanmadoc end of the beach is quite steep for those who find walking a problem. (There is a tap in the woods entrance at the bottom for drinking water for your pooch - inside gate 30 yards near old tin roof lodge).
- The other route to the beach is less steep towards Broughton and Whitford Caravan Park direction. Perhaps under 30 mins average stroll.
- NOTE THERE IS A QUITE STEEP LANE for 200 yards AT CWM IVY ON YOUR RETURN JOURNEY IF YOU DECIDE TO ACCESS THE BEACH VIA CWM IVY
- The beach is sweeping and perhaps 2 miles long extending from Broughton and Bluepool cliffpath at west end, east around three Tors (rocky promentory headlands), then around an L shaped sandy sweep then a further mile or so out to Whiteford Lighthouse and point (pick your own mussels when the month has an 'r' in it). The beach is almost entirely sandy and water is shallow shelving. Anglers catch Bass and Founder here, some Dabs and Plaice, even Black Bream, and Seals regularly spotted in the waves at Llanmadoc Beach and off Whitefore Lighthouse.
- There are extensive marin grass sand dunes at the high water mark of the beach for almost the entire sweep including very large (i.e. raised high) dunes above the Whiteford Beach end towards the lighthouse, fun for setting up picnic camp for the day with raised view over the bay. The raised dunes run for over a mile and form the beach boundary around which walkers with dogs stroll along the water edge. The views here are beautiful and you will be stunned at how few people there are here other than a few holiday makers staying in local cottages, one or two caravan site guests/owners,and the odd local couple walking the dog.
- Behind the sand dunes at Whiteford/Llanmadoc, there are pine woods, and coastal scrub / marin grass, with sheep and cattle wandering, on a 2 mile x 1 mile peninsula sticking out into Burry Estuary (Berges' Island' / Whiteford Peninsula National Trust including several Nature Reserves incl a marine Nature reserve and Bird Hide Hut right out).
- The very most extreme end of the Whiteford Peninsula has a lighthouse (one end) and a birdhut and sand spit on the other with a very exposed almost completely deserted beach and woods facing due north west. This beach is truly stunning and you will see welsh black cattle wander in and out of the pine woods onto the beach
- The area (incl Whiteford Peninsula) is a Birdwatchers paradise - Merlins, Greater Spotted & Green Woodpeckers, Goldfinches, stonechats, Redwings, Grey Herons, Oystercatchers, Lapwings, Plover, green/Redshank, Sanderlings, Marsh and Willow Tits, many waders, Fieldfare and redwings in winter, Redpolls sometimes spotted, and Yellow and Grey Wagtails in local woods and streams such as at Cheriton Pill.
- Surfing for the kids (or parents!) off the beach - albeit Llangennith is better than Llanmadoc for this most times. Kayaking best undertaken from Oxwich Beach (park to edge) but we do see some locals incl. caravaners from Whiteford Bay Caravan site take Kayaks out and around to Burry Holm or Bluepool.
- Hill walking available over Llanmadoc Hill, and to Rhossili Down or Llangennith from the cottage
- Superb idyllic spot away from it all and not too close to more touristy areas of Gower (e.g. Rhossili Village, Llangennith Beach) but close enough to get to them if you want
- Your Dog/s are welcome - [but always by agreement on booking].
Tel: 01792 386668 (home) or 07990 522250 (Heather)
If Middle Cottage is a little large for you and you just need a comfortable and functional 'bolthole' please also consider
HEATHER LODGE...Our new one bedroom detached holiday bungalow Heather Lodge (located at rear of Gower Cottage with off road parking) is due to open in mid May 2016 following full renovation now underway following planning approval. Heather Lodge will have one bedroom, a very nice bathroom, and a lounge with log burner into an open plan and fully equipped kitchen.
- Preliminary "no deposit" bookings being taken now - see more on www.gowerholidaycottage.com
Alternatively stay at WAGTAILS APARTMENT, also located in Llanmadoc....hosting guests in Llanmadoc, Gower since 2007, details below
Wagtails Apartment, Llanmadoc, Gower – see the Wagtails specific website with prices and calendar www.cottageingower.co.uk
KEY FEATURES SUMMARISED
Wagtails Cottage Apartment is a high quality 1 [double] bedroomed ground floor s/c apartment featuring:
As good a location/position as you could ask for for a holiday break.
Situated right in the heart of Llanmadoc village green, close to Cwm Ivy National Trust walks/woods, and several local nature reserves.
5-10 mins walk downhill to the local real ale pub (The Britannia) and excellent a la carte pub food / Sunday lunches
20-25 mins walking distance from the beach/woods. (There is a steep lane depending which route you decide to take)
Only 10-12 mins drive to other beaches at Port Eynon or Horton, Oxwich Bay or Llangennith (great surfing), 15 mins to Three Cliffs Bay or 20 mins by car to Caswell, Langland including several you can drive right up to.
Accommodation all on the ground floor.
Parking to front door on your own private front drive (driveway not shared).
Friendly, welcoming, and hopefully informative hosts live next door in Gower Cottage (we leave our guests get on with it unless we can help in any way).
Sleeps 2 in one double bed, in one bedroom - which leads through door to private good size bathroom. Another 1 or 2 kids or one adult on sofabed. We usually tell our guests that the apartment is ideal for a couple, but too small for a family. However we regularly have families to stay including several with three children, and they have always thoroughly enjoyed (kids have slept on sofabed, and sometimes baby in travel cot in bedroom with parents). Ideal for comfort is one adult couple, and perhaps one child on sofabed. (You would need to move armchair/table slightly to pull out sofabed).
We welcome well-behaved pet dogs [by agreement].
Lounge/Dining room with a rustic pine table, 4 nice pine chairs, two seater sofabed, single armchair, bookcase and CD player & DAB radio.
Widescreen Panasonic 32inch LCD TV with SKY Plus HD satellite TV box, SKY HD Plus Planner, Sky Sports/movies package and Panasonic Blu Ray DVD player in lounge (lots of DVDs and films etc to watch), 16"colour SAMSUNG TV with remote/Freeview and built in DVD in bedroom.
Good sized bathroom, with combi fed mixer shower over (new) hite enamel steel bath, new sink and toilet. No shortage of bathroom storage space. Shaving cabinet.
Heating system fed off our Worcester/Bosch combi boiler (fitted spring 2008) offering reliable and constant hot water for nice candle lit bath after a long day walking! Apartment also offers two plug-in DeLonghi oil moveable radiators in case you need more heat when main system is on off position on timer.
Fullsize dishwasher in kitchen (a small kitchen which leads into lounge diner)
Quality microwave oven, ceramic 4 plate hob, electric oven with grill, toaster, kettle, Hairdryer
Quality Le Creuset pots and pans and decent "Denby Jet" crockery, decent range of curlery and knives/kitchen implements
Electric, heating, cleaning materials/toilet roll, kitchen roll, j-cloths, towels and bedding included in the price
HD Satellite TV (SKY HD Planner), BluRay/DVD player, widescreen tv, with movies and Sky Sports - relax and watch movies, F1 racing, the golf, rugby football, tennis or cricket - you're on holiday! Also ESPN Sports for extra sports stuff.
Lounge sits 3 comfortably on brown leather sofas
Ironing board and iron can be borrowed from us if required
Quality bed linen provided, tea-towels, bathroom towels all provided in the price
Available to let all year round - 12 months and short breaks / weekends and short breaks for 2 or more nights available November to February
1 min walk to the Village shop, 10 mins drive to Knelston petrol station and bakery/shop/PO.
Surfing/bodyboarding off the local beaches when the wind is blowing (can surf Broughton but Llangennith is world renowned)
Hill walking available over Llanmadoc Hill, and to Rhossili Down or Llangennith from the cottage
Superb idyllic spot away from it all and not too close to more congested villages of Gower (e.g. Rhossili Village, Llangennith Beach) but close enough to get to them if you want
No smoking in apartment, but you can smoke in rear patio or gardens.
How to raise an enquiry or make a booking for Wagtails?
1.Email us (or phone) and we will answer any questions and if you then wish to book, we will send you a really simple booking form by Email, and you just
complete it, return it.
2. Your booking is then confirmed.
3. We will ask for your 30% deposit payment within 7 days of booking and your booking will be held until the deposit is received or 7 days elapses (unless
by agreement). You can pay by Cheque or BACS transfer.
4. Your balance is payable two calendar months prior to arrival day.
Tel: 01792 386668 (home)
END OF WEBPAGE